Preparing for your newborn session can feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be! My goal is to help you have a stress-free experience when documenting the first few days of your new bundle of joy! My baby is now two and I still look back on his newborn photos because they are so precious to me. Here are some ways you can prepare for your newborn session that will help your session feel relaxed and fun!
- Choose comfortable clothing. It’s important to wear something that you feel good in, and that won’t be too constricting or uncomfortable for you or your baby. Wear something that makes you feel strong and beautiful, like the amazing woman and mama you are! Wearing something you love will help you feel confident and help you let loose so you can enjoy your session! KWP offers all mamas access to the client closet! There are several beautiful dresses in a range of sizes, including maternity dresses! The client close also includes some options for babies and toddlers, so feel free to choose some clothing from the client closet to use for your session! Sometimes just wearing a new dress makes you feel incredible, at least it does for me!
- If you are doing an in-home session, get the house ready. Make sure the space(s) you’re wanting to shoot in is clean, tidy, and well lit. Open all your curtains to let as much natural light in as possible! If you are doing a studio session, think about what backdrop colors you want to use vs. what colors you want to wear and let’s coordinate together!
- Ask me any and all questions. We’ll have a phone call/FaceTime chat/coffee date to chat about outfits, planning, location, props, poses or any special requests you might have for the session.
- Take some time to relax. Before the session, make sure you’ve had a chance to rest and relax, so you can be present and focused when the time comes. Take your time that morning to get yourself ready so you can feel your absolute best for your session! Have dad watch baby for a few so you can do some self-care!
- Have fun! Most importantly, don’t forget to have a good time. Enjoy the experience, and the memories you’ll have afterward. Like I mentioned above, my son’s newborn photos are still looked at and enjoyed today, 2 years later, and I know I will still cherish them for years to come. I look at those photos and see myself, joyful and so in love, wrapped around this little boy’s finger- so relax and have fun with your baby and family. You’ll love looking back on these photos and remember how much love you were feeling in this moment.